Thursday, September 24, 2009

Interview with Peggy Aguayo of Aguayo & Huebener


All About Fifth interviews Petty Aguayo of Aguayo & Huebener about all things real estate—including the development on 4th Avenue and Park Slope’s new historic district bid.

AAF: Where are you from originally?

Aguayo: Brooklyn, NY, where else?

AFF: When did you open your business and what drew you to the field?

Aguayo: I started real estate part time in 1983. Then in 1984 then I got my broker’s license and opened my own firm. At the time, I was teaching at St. Anne’s in Brooklyn Heights. I always considered it a treat, living in Park Slope. The homes fascinated me and all the renovations that were occurring at the time. At that time there were many vacant buildings and I was fascinated by the potential of making these viable homes.

AAF: Has the local market hit bottom?

Aguayo: That’s a good question. Not having a crystal ball, it is difficult to be totally definitive. But if pressed, I would say that the market has leveled out and that I would expect the prices in 2010 to be slightly higher.

AAF: What is your best advice to first time buyers in any climate?

Aguayo: One word: Prioritize. As in life, you can’t have everything. But a home should meet, at the very least, your top 4-5 needs. As a realtor this next statement might seem a bit oxymoronic: I would not push myself beyond my means as a first time buyer. A home should be a haven, not a yoke.

AAF: What's your professional view on all the building going on 4th Avenue?

Aguayo: It is wonderful to see growth and change, as I believe stagnation is the alternative. Personally, I find some of the architecture of these new buildings not aesthetically pleasing.

AAF: What is your stand on expanding the Slope's historic districts?

Aguayo: I would love to preserve the beauty of the Slope’s architecture and if expanding the historic district would do so, I am for it.

AAF: What are the greatest benefits and challenges of running your business?

Aguayo: Greatest benefits are: freedom and independence and the ability to be creative. The challenges of running my business are managing ambitious and highly energetic sales agents and also competing successfully with firms that are gargantuan compared to mine.

AAF: Does a fig tree bring value to one's property?

Aguayo: I sure do hope so, I have one in my back yard.

Interview conducted by Rebeccah Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment